Skip to content

Fort McMurray, AB Personal Injury Lawyer


    Contact a lawyer now

    Your information is kept safe.

    Read our 5.0 Reviews

    Read reviews on Google

    Get our lawyers on your team

    With offices in 15 locations across Canada, we are in your corner.


    Have you been injured in an auto accident, boat accident, or slip and fall? Have you been injured in any other kind of accident that’s occurred because someone else was negligent or failed to meet their obligations?

    If so, reach out to the personal injury lawyers at Merchant Law. Our team has decades of experience helping people just like you. We can get you justice and help you cover the costs brought on by your accident. 

    What should be included in a personal injury claim?

    In Alberta, there are three types of damages you may collect. 

    The first type are economic damages. These are your medical bills, your lost wages, and, if applicable, your loss of earning capacity. Economic damages also cover the amounts you’ll need for your long term care. We won’t know exactly how much these damages are worth until you’ve reached maximum medical improvement. At that point the full extent of your bills will be evident and we can project your long-term care needs, as well as whether you are likely to be able to return to work.

    The second type are non-economic damages, also known as pain and suffering. Alberta law recognizes that people should not have to go through pain and suffering they didn’t bring on themselves.

    The third type is punitive damages. Punitive damages aren’t available in every case. They’re reserved for times when someone’s actions have been so egregious, so foolish, and so negligent that they literally deserve to be punished for their actions. 

    You’ll rarely see punitive damages in a car accident case unless the driver was drinking. You might see them in a truck accident case where the truckers violated the law while operating their vehicle, or in a slip and fall case where the landlord had a great deal of time to address an especially dangerous hazard.

    Speak to your lawyer to find out whether punitive damages are available in your case. 

    What’s considered pain and suffering?

    Pain and suffering covers any physical pain you’re feeling along with any emotional anguish you may have to go through. It can cover the chronic pain an injury leaves you with and the PTSD you have to work through and receive counseling for. 

    In Alberta, pain and injury awards are capped at $5000 for soft tissue injuries and at $370,000 total. 

    How do you prove pain and suffering?

    Many types of evidence can support your pain and suffering claims. Medical records, psychiatric records, and expert testimony are some of the most common. We can also demonstrate how the injury has impacted your life, especially if it has made it impossible for you to pursue hobbies you used to enjoy, has robbed you of a career, or has kept you from keeping up with your children. 

    It’s up to your lawyer to translate this data into a hard-hitting impact statement that will get you the maximum amount that is possible for your case. 

    Why Merchant Law?

    When you work with a lawyer from Merchant Law you’ll be working with one of Alberta’s most experienced personal injury lawyers. Our team is dedicated to getting you the best possible settlement and will work hard to negotiate it. We’re also known as top-notch litigators, which is helpful in the rare instance of a personal injury case that needs to go to court. 

    Get started today by calling (780) 799-7777 for a free consultation. Remember this call is a no-obligation, risk-free call. You don’t even have to worry about coming up with a retainer: we don’t get paid until your case is successful.

    Areas of Practice

    Please note: The information provided on this website is Not Legal Advice. The information may or may not be accurate. The information is for discussion purposes only. Reliance upon any information provided would not be grounds to advance a claim against Merchant Law for providing any advice. In order to get a formal legal opinion upon which you may rely about any specific fact scenario, you would have to first retain the services of a lawyer and request a formal legal opinion.