Alberta requires all drivers to carry an adequate amount of liability insurance on their vehicles. Yet this doesn’t mean getting insurance companies to cover your claim for injuries suffered when you get in a car accident will be easy, even if the other driver was at-fault.
All insurance companies work to keep their expenses low. Their goal is to pay accident victims as little as possible. If your injuries are likely to cost more than what’s covered by your own Section B benefits you will need help from a seasoned Lethbridge, AB car insurance lawyer.
Merchant Law can provide this help, and can help you get the compensation you deserve.The experienced team at Merchant Law can help you get representation any time someone else’s negligence causes you to sustain a major injury. You have rights, and we’ll protect them.
We will help you get money to cover your medical bills, to compensate you for your pain and suffering, and to cover your lost wages if you missed work while you were recovering.
Calling us is 100% risk-free. We don’t get paid unless your case is successful!
If you’ve been injured it’s vital to move quickly. The faster you involve a lawyer the stronger your case is likely to be. You don’t have to wait: you can call one the moment you are medically capable of doing so.
Cases We Handle
Our Lethbridge, AB personal injury team handles all of the following types of cases:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Car accidents with Trucks
- Car accidents with bicycles
- Car accidents with pedestrians
- Car accidents with skateboarders
- Car accidents with drunk drivers
- Hit and run accidents
- Accidents caused by debris
- Accidents caused by city negligence
- Accidents caused by highway construction
- SUV and ATV rollovers
- Snowmobile and Ski-do accidents
- Out-of-province or out-of-state accidents
- Slip-and-fall accidents
Steps to Take After a Lethbridge Car Accident
The strength of your car insurance claim will depend, in part, on the steps you take directly after an automobile accident.
- Move your vehicle to safety.
- Call the police. This is required by law.
- Be careful what you say. Don’t say “I’m sorry” or “I’m fine,” the two most common things that people say that end up getting used against them later. Don’t volunteer information. Answer only the questions asked, and be careful with your answers.
- Get the other driver’s contact and insurance information. You are also required by law to make a good-faith effort to get this information. If the driver doesn’t have insurance your attempt to get the information will matter to an MVAC claim later.
- Take photographs of the scene. Take more than you’ll think you’ll need, of every part of the scene, from every angle!
- Get medical attention, even if you feel okay. Adrenaline often masks serious injuries. Follow all medical instructions. If you fail to get medical attention car insurance companies will use that against you later!
- Retain a car accident lawyer as soon as you are medically able to do so. Try to do so before speaking to any representatives from the insurance company. We can file your claim for you!
Some accident victims don’t call us until months have passed. We have worked around this limitation before. We’ve also helped victims who were too injured to take most of these steps after their accident. As long as the limitations period hasn’t expired, there’s no harm in contacting us to find out if you have a case.
How Car Insurance Companies Build Their Cases?
Car insurance companies pay you less money when you’re at-fault, so will try to build a case that you were at least 50% responsible for the accident. This would mean that Alberta’s comparative negligence laws would all but wipe out your settlement.
They can also pay you less money if you failed to “mitigate your loss.” This is another reason why it’s so important to get immediate medical attention, as doing so is a form of loss mitigation.
You need lawyers who will carefully examine the facts of the case and who will build a strong argument that gets you paid.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Lethbridge Compensated
If you have been involved in an accident, you are not alone. There were over 142,596 collisions in Alberta in 2018 alone. Our Lethbridge injury law team takes our duty to clients exceptionally seriously because we know just how horrific the most severe car accidents can be. If someone else’s negligence caused you to get hurt, you can get compensation for any injury you take.
Some common types of injuries you may have suffered as a result must include:
- TBIs and Concussions
- Permanent disabilities
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Nerve damage
- Herniated discs
- Scars and disfigurement
- Joints and ligaments injury
- Soft tissue injuries
- Psychological trauma
- Wrongful death
- We also help you recover compensation for the loss of income or earning capacity that may have resulted from your car accident cases.
Our lawyers fight for you to get you every bit of compensation to which you are legally entitled. Let our experience work for you.
- Medical bills Medicare won’t cover.
- Specialists like chiropractors and massage therapists.
- Psychological care.
- Employment and economic losses.
- Other expenses associated with your accident.
Usually the payout is made by the relevant insurance company. This could be a car insurance company (in the case of an accident), a homeowner’s policy or commercial property policy in a slip-and-fall case, or some other relevant policy in other cases.
These insurance companies don’t want to compensate you. They have a myriad of tricks at their disposal to help them reduce or even eliminate the payment they owe you. Our team helps counter those tricks, and helps you get paid.
Why Choose Merchant Law?
Our lawyers are experts at dealing with car insurance companies. We have a long track record of helping clients just like you.
When you work with our team you’re working with litigators who have decades of experience in personal injury law. We have a proven track record helping the victims of catastrophic accidents recover substantial sums.
Our team is responsive, caring, and dedicated to fighting for you. We have the resources it takes to give your case the attention it deserves. When you hire Merchant Law, you tell insurance companies that you mean business.
Get started today. Call (403) 219-0196 to get started today.